Wednesday 27 January 2010

Album Review: Alicia Keys - The Element Of Freedom



This week has been a very slow week for updates in music, etc. So I thought I would review another album. I said previously that I would be reviewing a few albums, so if you have any requests let me know. I will be featuring some old album reviews soon as there aren't any albums coming out just yet.
So, my third album review is for Alicia Keys' fourth album "The Element Of Freedom".
I was reluctant to listen to this album at first as I think that most of Alicia's material is either hit or miss. Her previous album "As I Am" I really liked so I was hoping the same for this CD.
I can say at this point that the album is pretty solid and that it is definitely a grower. From first listen I wasn't too fazed but after listening to it a few times, I can say that it grew and grew on me. So I will be basing the track-by-track review on my latest impressions.
Here goes...

  1. Element Of Freedom (Intro): This intro is really short and just features Alicia talking. It doesn't really do much for the album, but it introduces it nicely. 6/10
  2. Love Is Blind: This track is pretty decent and is the normal type of Alicia Keys material. I wouldn't class it as a stand out track but it is nice enough. 7/10
  3. Doesn't Mean Anything: This was the first single and I must say it didn't quite catch me like "No One" did. It has since grew on me but I would still only class it as an album track and not single worthy. 8/10
  4. Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart: This is one fantastic track. From the first time I heard it I couldn't stop listening. It is something completely different from Alicia and is definitely hands down the best track on the album. 10/10
  5. Wait Til You See My Smile: This track is pretty decent and is slow and soothing. I think that it is a nice song but it is not a stand out track to me. 7.5/10
  6. Thats How Strong My Love Is: This is another decent track. I don't mind this song but I just don't see that it stands out either. 7.5/10
  7. Unthinkable (I'm Ready): Maybe I am not appreciating this music, but the album seems to be lacking what made "As I Am" great. This is still another decent track. 7/10
  8. Love Is My Disease: The album starts to get a bit better at this point. This song is much better and I would class it as one of the stand out tracks. 8.5/10
  9. Like The Sea: This song is a lot more memorable than the previous tracks on the album. It is a solid track that deserves a decent score. 8/10
  10. Put It In A Love Song (Ft. Beyonce): When I heard about this collaboration I was expecting something groundbreaking like the Lady Gaga and Beyonce collab. However this lacked something which I can't place my finger on. The song is OK but it just gets boring and repetitive after a little while. 8/10
  11. This Bed: This track was seriously needed on this album. It is definitely one of the stand out tracks and is one of my favs. It is a solid song and shows a different side of Alicia. 9/10
  12. Distance And Time: This is a typical Alicia Keys song. It sounds so similar to her other stuff so it is definitely not unique. It is just an OK and nothing I would class as being rememberable. 7/10
  13. How It Feels To Fly: This is my least favourite track on the album for some reason. It does sound like some of her older songs from "As I Am" and I feel like Alicia keeps on repeating the same sort of material. 6.5/10
  14. Empire State Of Mind (Part II) Broken Down: I don't mind this track. I think Alicia's version is much better than Jay-Z's, but I find it hard to listen to, as it just gets boring after a while. 7/10

OVERALL: 7.6/10
This album is clearly a decent album but it is not one of the best albums I have heard. I think her vocals are great but the album was lacking and did not have the factor that made "As I Am" memorable.
Stay tuned for more reviews as I will be reviewing Amerie's "In Love & War" album next :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment